Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cloverfield.......Honestly

Now Tiffany borrowed this, watched it, and raved about it. So the day after we sat down and watched Cloverfield. Now I had somewhat high expectations for Cloverfield but they weren't extremely high. I gotta admit, I'm pretty disappointed. Now there were things that I really enjoyed but way too many things that annoyed me. I'm not calling this an official review because as far as I know, we all have seen it so there is no reason to go into what it's about and etc.

First off I have been asking myself maybe I should watch the movie again by myself, giving it another chance to sink in...maybe a little differently. Now I'm not one to really pick movies apart unless there are so many farfetche'd things going on. And while watching Cloverfield I could not seem to shut up. I was sighing, scoffing, and laughing during unlaughable times.

Likes:
Now I'll admit, the simple premise of a huge monster terrorizing Manhattan was pretty damn cool. Also the other selling point was that it was made as a home video. Now the shaky camera didn't bother much at all, but what I thought made it interesting was that by using a handheld camera it made the movie, the experience, and the monster seem like a reality show. Didn't seem ya know...prepared, or staged. And that was a big plus. The movie did have quite a few good laughs and that was good.

Dislikes:
I had a lot of things get under my skin. First off, the monster itself. Totally generic, it didn't pop. Plain but still reasonable cool. But when I did see the creature I was like, "Oh, that's it?" Secondly, I don't know how big Manhattan is personally but I hated how the story followed 4 people on this big island and everywhere they seemed to go, the monster was right there around them. Thirdly, I hated the smaller creatures that fell off the big one. Seemed to me like they were just thrown into the movie so you could not ask the question, "Why can't they just go into the subway and wait it out?." And after a while it seemed that the main, giant creature was only the second most dangerous creature. The characters had to worry more about the little guys that the big daddy. I hated that the monster is Huge and yet for most of the movie you get tiny glimpses of it. In the end you do get a few really good shots but like I said, the creature still did not impress me much. Also I just could not stop comparing the movie to the plot of Godzilla, not necessarily the Godzilla movies themselves. The ending left me wanting more of an explanation but that as not too much of a problem to me.

In the end, I'm still glad I own the movie. It was in the least still entertaining. And it was a decent watch, I didn't hate it but so many annoying things always popped into my head. I'm usually an advocate of telling people to just watch the movie, go with it, don't ask too many questions and just enjoy it, but with Cloverfield something was off to me. I will definitely give it another shot because everyone else seemed to enjoy it so maybe I'm being too harsh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to see this movie so much! but the im not paying £15 for it after what ive heard

Sixty X Celph said...

It's the opposite for me. I've heard more negative things than positive things about Cloverfield so far. And I agree with you, in the broad sense, that there are good aspects and bad aspects of the film. Really cool film, but a few things that irked me.