Saturday, September 13, 2008

DVD Update

Umm, I think I went overboard a little. It's totally Tiffany's fault. She is supposed to smack my hand away when I reach for another DVD. Anyways, to be truthful, I really didn't spend a ton of money on all these DVD's, I got a lot of great deals, whether it be the 5$ movie rack at Wally World, or buy 2 get 3 free at Gamestop, so honestly it's not that bad.

Lets Start with the game. I went ahead and found Madden 08 for only 10 bucks, and Tiff's brother has it so I bought it so we could play, not knowing the next damn day he bought 09, but oh well. Its good to have a nice variety of different games for my 360.

Next is the 5$ movie rack at Wal-Mart. I have said it a thousand times and I truly believe it, that our Wal-Mart has the best selection of 5$ movies I have heard of or ever seen. It's amazing the quality of movies in that bin (actually its a four sided shelf), but everywhere it's different.

So I bought 2 movies out of the 5$ bin

  • Fargo - Made from the Coen brothers who made No Country. My parents used to rave about this movie so I'm excited to see it.
  • Men of Honor -(Cuba Gooding Jr., Robert De Niro). This movie is so underrated, our walmart has like an entire shelf of this movie so I guess no one buys it but it is a really good movie. Check this one out.

Gamestop (Buy 2 get 3 free). So I really did not want to get five movies here but Tiffany found a really good movie that we both have been looking for. The only bad thing is that its not worth it to just get one movie when you can get 5 for the price of 3 so I forced myself to find 4 others.

  • Titanic - This is not my favorite movie but it's ok, the thing that excited me the most was the AMAZING box it came in. It looks like a book, its huge. So thats a plus.
  • Once Upon A Time In Mexico - Never seen this, loved Desperado so had to get the next movie. Johnny Depp in it is just a plus. Thought it was odd that the spine of the movie did not have the movie title on it, had never seen that before. Then realized I bought a DVD without the sleeve which pissed me off. Note on the sleeve later.
  • Ultraviolet - Always looked interesting, never was a must have for me but needed to find movies so this was the next one. Hope it's good.
  • Phantom of the Opera - This was for Tiffany. She has wanted it for a long time so no brainer there.
  • L.A. Confidential - Heard a lot of good things about it, I have high expectations for it, so hope it does not disappoint.

Flea Market. I get alot of movies at the flea market. You can find really rare movies for dirt cheap. Alot of the DVD's I buy are only 5$ and whats so great about them compared to Walmart is that they have so many more movies to choose from. Only downside is that its only open on Saturday and Sunday.

  • Wildfire Season 1 - All for Tiffany. She loves this show. I believe its the best buy out of all my new movies. An entire season for 5 bucks. Can't beat that. I'm curious to watch it as well.
  • Apocalypse Now - So called greatest war movie ever. Very excited to watch it. Not a huge war movie fan but seems like I always hear the name of this movie so could not pass it up.
  • Signs - Have this on VHS but have always wanted it on DVD. Great, great movie. Prolly one of the reasons we all still go see M. Night's sub par movies in theaters.
  • Predator - Love this movie, surprised I didn't have it. Easy choice.
  • Se7en - Gosh the hype on this movie, I really am glad I found it. Been looking for it everywhere. I'm sure it will be great from all I've heard from it. GREAT BOX as well.
  • Monster's Ball - Ever since the Joker I have been fascinated with Heath Ledgers past projects so saw this one. Honestly never heard of it but looks pretty good.
  • V for Vendetta - Heard this was the best of the V for Vendetta, Ultraviolet, and Aeonflux movies, so got it.

Game King (Found the COMPLETE Once Upon A Time In Mexico here and asked the clerk if there was someway I could buy just the sleeve to the movie. Really wierd question. Anyways he was really cool and just gave me the sleeve for free so Hells Yea.)

  • Talledega Nights - Needed a good laugh and have been keeping a eye out for this one.
  • Jeepers Creepers - Just a really cool movie, glad to add it to my collection.

Blockbusters

  • Rendition - Looked really good, anyone know anything let me know.
  • Fracture - Also looked cool, one of the only movies I have ever bought that I didn't know a single thing about.
  • The Hammer - Honestly always looked silly but I remember hearing that it was actually quite good so for 2.99 not much of a risk.
  • There Will Be Blood - Always looked for this movies to drop in price and finally found it for 4.99 so scooped it up.
  • Atonement - This is one of those movies that I have seen sit and sit on the shelf telling me to buy it and I finally caved. Looks like it has potential.
  • Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - Tiffany always thought this looked cute so I picked it up for her.
  • In Bruges - Another movie that I knew nothing about, seemed like I had seen it on someones top 10 of the year list so I risked it.

Video/Video. (Buy 2 get 1 free). This is a place I never go into, its honestly kinda nasty inside and never really had much but had not been in there in probably 5 years so stopped in there to see what they had.

  • X-Men - I have the 3rd one and am one step closer to completing the trilogy. Not much to say....its the X-Men....its awesome.
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - God finally. The only Harry Potter movie I didn't have on DVD. It's always like 10 dollars and thats too damn much. 5 bucks here.
  • Freedom Writers - Sixty congrats. You first movie you reviewed that really effected a purchase. Based buying this solely on your review. Good job.

Wal-Mart

  • Will Smith Collection. This came with I, Robot and Independence Day. GREAT, GREAT buy.
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail - LOVE, LOVE this movie. Finally found it for a reasonable price. LOVE this movie.

So thats it. As always, want a review let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW a little overboard? how many DVD's do you have?

Sixty X Celph said...

Hoooly crow, yo. That's quite the haul you got there. A lot of great movies, though/

XD I hope you liked Freedom Writers. I'm always nervous that people will end up hating things they get on my recommendation.

Shepdawg25 said...

Holy shit. You got some really good movies there and some I've been interested in picking up. I want to know if There Will Be Blood is any good. Let me know! By the way, when you watch Apocalypse Now, get ready for a extremely long movie. It was pretty decent, but not my favorite by far.